The Sphere FAQ! 📜

Sphere is currently in an early Beta phase, so development is moving quickly, and the feature set is changing and evolving over time.
If anything in this document is no longer relevant, please let us know. All feedback is super helpful for us during this phase of building out our app, so if you have suggestions or thoughts, we’d love to hear them!

What is Sphere? :speech_balloon:

Sphere is a new group chat messenger to transform groups into communities that are close, vibrant, purposeful and productive. :heart:

You can:

• create multiple chats for one group
  • feel confident that important messages are read through our “Announcements” feature.
  • remind everyone about important announcements in just one tap
  • remove menial decision-making through fun polls
  • express your feelings through emoji reactions, even if you don’t have something specific to say
  • share GIFs, pictures and videos with your group
  • create secret chats with a subset of members
  • send 1-to-1 Direct Messages (DMs) to other members of your sphere.
  • create, manage and RSVP to Events
  • Pin messages, documents, images and links to a shared Pinboard for all members to view (Admins only)
  • and there’s much more to come!

We’re building out our product in conjunction with our early users, and we’d love you to join us and help us build the next generation of group chat.

Sounds great! How do I sign up? :raised_hands:

Right now, Sphere is an invite-only beta platform. We’re looking to speak to community managers and group admins to help us build out the product, or early adopters who just love to spot bugs and give feature ideas! So if this sounds like you, please reply in the Access Requests thread.

We’ll share more details on our plans for a wider public launch in the future.

What features are coming next? :balloon:

You can check out our Public Roadmap here. It’s a guideline to what we’ll be working on over the next 2-3 months, and will be updated at the end of every 8 week phase.

What platforms does Sphere work on? :spider_web:

You can use our app on iOS, Android and Web!

What operating system version do I need? :iphone:

Our Android app works on Android 5.0 and above. For iOS, you’ll need iOS 12.4 or above.

Can I have an invite, or invite others? :pray:

If you already have access to the Sphere app via our Sphere One program or our Customer Advisory Board (CAB), then you’ll already have the ability to create your own Spheres and invite other people to them.

Why do you have a forum when Sphere itself is a chat app for communities? :thinking:

It’s a great question! We are building our own app to support smaller interest-based communities and groups for now, as opposed to product-led services and software communities. We believe that the real-time, synchronous, short-form live nature of chat apps such as ours lends itself to interest-based groups, who are unlikely to set up our need the complex feature-set of an asynchronous, non-chat long-form paradigm such as Discourse (which this forum uses). We’ll still be maintaining Sphere One on our own app, which serves as the gateway Sphere to the app itself and allows you to chat in real time with our staff and other community managers.

How old do I need to be to use Sphere? :balloon:

You must be at least 13 years old to use Sphere.

If we discover that you are using Sphere and are below 13, we’ll close your account.

How can I report bugs or feedback? :bug:

We might occasionally have technical difficulties in the product and we want to thank you all for being patient with us. Just so you know, you may see some unreliability in chats. Refreshing the web page or re-starting the app can sometimes solve any short-term performance issues. Also please make sure that you have downloaded the most recent version of the app.

We’re working very hard to fix overall performance and fix any bugs as soon as possible.

On Android and iOS, you can shake your phone to report a bug. This will bring up the bug reporting flow where you can send us a screenshot of what you’re seeing and add some notes.

For a web bug, please email us by following this link to let us know when you are experiencing any bugs or performance issues, or report directly in Sphere One (our community) if you’re a member.

In order to make helping you as easy as possible, whenever you send us a message reporting a bug, please include the following:

• A full description of the issue you’re having and why you think you’re experiencing it.
  • Whether you are using Sphere on our website, Android or iOS app.
  • Screenshots of the specific issue you’re having (if the problem is technical or could be a bug).
  • The email address on your Sphere account. If you contact us from any other email address, we are unable to locate your account and won’t be able to assist you.

Where can I find your Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy? :bar_chart:

Our terms of service are available here and our privacy policy is available here.

How can I close my Sphere account? :x:

We’re sorry to see you go, but if you want to delete your account please follow these steps:

• Email us saying you want to delete your account.
  • Unsubscribe from our emails (there is a link at the bottom)
4 Likes

Update: Added Events and Pinboard to the FAQ :slight_smile:

Update: Added new screens showing the new sphere selector